ACBA Young Lawyers Division Fund
The cost of law school tuition has increased by more than 400% since 1985. In response to the ever-rising cost of law school tuition and the student debt crisis facing today’s law students, the Allegheny County Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Division (YLD) established the YLD Scholarship Fund to help defray the costs of attending law school for current law students. The YLD Scholarship Fund will provide scholarships to law students who anticipate practicing in Allegheny County after graduation.
On an annual basis, the ACBF, in partnership with the YLD, will award scholarships to second or third year law students who meet the criteria listed below. Both the number of awards and the value of each award will be dependent upon the total value of the YLD Scholarship Fund in that year.
to download the application.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022
Please direct any questions regarding the Scholarship Fund Application to the YLD Scholarship Committee Chairs, Aleksandra Kocelko
or Amanda Scarborough
The applicant must meet the following guidelines:
- Be a second or third year law student at the University of Pittsburgh Law School or Duquesne University School of Law;
- Be a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association and intend to maintain active involvement post-graduation;
- Display a commitment to and involvement with the legal community and/or the community in general;
- Exhibit financial need;
- Exhibit academic achievement;
- Engaged in extra-curricular activities; and
- Intend to practice in Allegheny County and/or Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Marla Nicole Presley, Esq.
Joseph R. Williams, Esq.
Corrine McGinley Smith, Esq.Lacee C. Ecker, Esq.
Laura C. Bunting, Esq.
Bernard D. Marcus, Esq.
Hon. Kathleen R. Mulligan
In order to apply for the Scholarship, an applicant must submit the following:
- Completed Application;
- Essay limited to 500 words explaining why the applicant should be awarded this Scholarship;
- One letter of recommendation; and
- Copy of the student’s transcripts.